Piazza, Simmons, & Grant Connecticut Personal Injury Lawyers

Wrongful Death FAQs

The death of a loved one can be a traumatic experience for the surviving family and friends, especially if the death was a wrongful death. If your loved one has experienced a wrongful death, contact your Norwalk wrongful death lawyer to help you navigate through the legal system.

Many times the legal system can be confusing. The following are frequently asked questions that one may have in the event of a wrongful death that may also clear up any confusion. If you find that your case requires legal assistant, contact your local Norwalk wrongful death lawyer as soon as you can.

What if the deceased is an unborn fetus?

The law can vary from state-to-state. Many states do require that a baby be born before its death can be considered in a wrongful death action. Your wrongful death lawyer can help you find out what the law is in your state.

What if the deceased died before being able to bring a personal injury lawsuit?

It will depend on what the cause of that person’s death is. If the person’s death is not related to their personal injury claim, then the claim that they started will still go through the legal system. The deceased person’s executor or estate may continue the lawsuit for them. If the injuries sustained from an accident cause the person’s death, then the family may be able to file a lawsuit.

Do all states have the same wrongful death laws?

No, the law varies from state-to-state. Some states do not allow for certain types of awards or damages. You should consult with a personal injury lawyer to determine what the wrongful death laws are for your state, or the state where the accident took place.

If the deceased did not hold a job, can the survivors still sue for a wrongful death?

Yes, the survivors may still file a lawsuit even if the deceased did not contribute financially to the family. The deceased may have contributed in some other way such as a stay-at-home parent, provided emotional support for the family, or helped to provide guidance for the family.

Can the surviving family sue for pain and suffering?

Yes, the decedents can sue for damages for pain and suffering, as well as sue for a wrongful death.

When someone dies, what is the difference between a civil or criminal case in regards to the death?

A civil case typically involves a party seeking financial retribution. A civil court will handle the dispute of what is owed between two parties who cannot come to an agreement. A judge will determine what is legally owed by each party. In a criminal case, the criminal justice system has determined that a person is responsible for a crime which resulted in a person’s death. In a criminal case, the government will typically seek out a punishment for the person responsible.

Can I recover damages if the deceased is a child or elderly person?

Yes, you can still recover damages for a child or an elderly person, however these damages will be smaller than a contributing adult.

Contact Your Experienced Norwalk Wrongful Death Lawyer

Contact the Law Offices of Piazza, Simmons and Grant LLC at 203-504-5840. Our Norwalk wrongful death lawyer will help you fight for the rights of your deceased loved one.

Do you have a case?

To learn more about how the attorneys at the Law Offices of Piazza, Simmons, & Grant, LLC. can help you with a legal matter, contact us by calling us at 203-504-5840 or by completing the online contact form to the right.

*The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.